PennEast Pipeline Company is pleased to announce the PennEast Powering STEM Grant Program, which is awarding grants up to $10,000 each to local programs focused on the study of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
Applications are due on or before February 17, 2017, and final selections will be made on March 13, 2017. For additional information and to apply online, interested organizations should visit PennEastPipeline.com/Powering-STEM.
“The region’s abundant natural gas supplies are helping usher in a wave of new career opportunities,” said Pam Witmer of PennEast Pipeline Company. “From the exploration and production of natural gas to its delivery, its use as an electric generation fuel to a manufacturing feedstock and beyond, it is critical that existing and new businesses have a workforce prepared to take advantage of an energy-based economy.”
PennEast’s Powering STEM Grant Program is open to New Jersey and Pennsylvania nonprofit organizations that focus on:
- Incorporating energy exploration, distribution, use (as well as affiliated trades and disciplines) and/or environmental education in their curriculum;
- Providing individuals of all ages greater access to STEM education;
- Developing a workforce to meet the needs of the region’s continued position as a global energy leader;
- Promoting hands-on learning, problem solving, critical thinking and teamwork;
- Supporting general awareness about energy and environmental-related issues; and, more.
“Much has been written about the region’s economic and environmental opportunities thanks to its low-cost natural gas reserves,” said Witmer. “These opportunities – such as those in the petrochemical, plastics, high-tech manufacturing, and many other sectors – will be accelerated by providing the proper training to our young people, as well as older residents considering a career change.”
Organizations along the PennEast Pipeline’s proposed route will be given preference, but other organizations that meet the Program’s objectives are encouraged to apply as well.
For additional information on the PennEast Powering STEM Grant Program and eligibility requirements, visit PennEastPipeline.com/Powering-STEM.